Monday, February 16, 2009

Remember Cindy?

Our psychotic sow that wouldn't let us wean her piglets? Well we sold her to this really nice man, Mr. Ralls, and he called this morning. At first when he said who he was, I thought oh no, what has Cindy done!? But it was good news. About 5 days ago she had 12 piglets, and 10 have survived. One was born dead and the other was a runt and didn't make it. But 10 are alive and healthy and doing great and have doubled in size already.

He talked about when the piglets are weaned he would like to breed her back with our boar so we'll have to work that out later. I reminded him that he couldn't wean the pigs, that she'd have to do it in her own time. He said "oh yeah, I've seen that." And then told me a few stories of what that crazy hog has been up to. I think she has already charged his son in law and got him right in the chest. Then he went after his granddaughter and she had a shovel so she smacked her away. Mr. Ralls said, "it was a good thing she done had that shovel or I don't know what, see?" :-)

Mind you, according to Mr. Ralls, Cindy has gained 200 pounds since she arrived at his farm. So I think Cindy vs. a shovel, Cindy wins. So don't worry!

He is such a nice man and sounds like he's having a lot of fun with this endeavor. He grew up with hogs, 100s of them he says, so I think he's enjoying having one to coddle and fuss over. He said after his son in law went face to face with Cindy, only a few minutes later she had calmed down and he was scratching her tummy and she was laying down and loving it. Craig spends hours with his pigs, getting them used to humans and building trust. Mr. Ralls said, "you can sure tell he does."

M#3 was missing Cindy the other day so I need to go in the house and give him the news that she's doing just fine.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Funny. I love hearing about your pigs, past & present. :-)