Thursday, July 16, 2009

Morning Surprise

This is what I found this morning in the kitchen sink. No, it's not the spoon. I risked life and limb to drop a spoon in the sink so you could see and appreciate the size of the thing that I encountered. Watch and see.

It's length and breadth was greater than the end - what do you call that - the ladel part of the spoon? Anyway, it (the spider) was huge. The sight of the thing brought me back to fond memories at a good friend's house, trying to catch a similar sized arachnid from underneath her cabinets. Once we got it in a cup, she took it to the U of I Extension office and was told it was a "common" house spider. Trust me, there was nothing common about it. Sorry all you master gardeners, but it -- upon my Knight (aka my husband) coming to my rescue to slay the beast -- it crunched. It was super disgusting. Better that then letting it go into my garden and risk encountering it again some day.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Spiders are, in fact, the most important predator of insects in our world. Every year, billions of
spiders do away with a large number of disease-carrying and crop-destroying insects. If every
spider ate just one a day for a year, those insects, piled in one spot, would weigh as much as 50
million people. [Without the help of the one you just did away with.]

Laura said...

That's very interesting and informative but sadly I have determined that it has no bearing on my life whatsoever because the spider happened to be in my kitchen sink and made me gasp and almost pass out by its sheer ginormity and I would do it again (hire a hitman) if faced with another one. Ha!

Love you, Lis.

R said...

I am glad it was executed.

R said...

I love the moan at the end of the clip. Makes me laugh.

Lisa said...

Silly, here's one: spiders eat aphids -- in your new greenhouse world very important!
BTW You never screamed and ran while camping or at French Creek! What has happened out west?!
Miss you.

Laura said...

Yes, I guess I've grown soft. I don't mind the smaller ones but my goodness Lisa this one would have eaten ME given the chance. Change of plans: we're going to put 5,000 chickens in the greenhouse instead of plants - so my guess is that the chickens will eat the aphids AND the spiders. :-)

Lisa said...

Whaaaaa?? Please send an update!